Position: Senior Software Engineer
Location: Sydney, Australia (Hybrid)
Salary: AU$140k to AU$180k
The physical risk from Natural Catastrophes such as Hurricanes, Forest Fires, Heatwaves and Flood is evolving rapidly due to both climate change and our ever-expanding footprint on the natural world. To manage these risks, it is essential that we quantify them. Reask is a science and technology start-up that allows businesses to understand their risk from extreme events everywhere on Earth, past present and future. We enable climate aware decision making and deliver products to a range of use-cases in sectors including Insurance, Banking / Funds Management, Consulting, and Infrastructure.
We redefine boundaries We are curious and creative, and we seek to push the boundaries of knowledge.
We build on science We are passionate about developing and applying cutting-edge science to real-world challenges and making a positive impact through our work.
We communicate openly We believe in transparency and open communication as essential foundations of trust.
We succeed together We embrace collaboration, we support each other, and we roll our sleeves up to get the job done.
To develop our products, we’ve built a multidisciplinary team with deep experience in Machine Learning, Climate and Weather science, Mapping technologies and High-Performance Computing. We use, and contribute to, the best available science and technology in these areas. Our goal is to provide pragmatic technology-driven solutions as well as thought leadership to tackle the huge climate risk challenges before us.
About the Role
We’re currently expanding our engineering team in Sydney (Australia) and are looking for a Senior Software Engineer with experience and enthusiasm in one or more of the following technical areas:
- Web mapping technologies for both front-end and back-end such as Leaflet, MapBox, React, PostGIS, OGC W* standards.
- Climate/weather data analysis and processing using Python with packages such as numpy, scipy, sklearn.
- ML algorithm development applied to large geospatial datasets.
- API development using Flask, FastAPI or similar.
- Building and running HPC (High Performance Computing) workflows on Supercomputers or clusters. Familiarity with tools/technology such as MPI, Slurm, C/C++/Fortran. File formats such as NetCDF, HDF5, GeoTIFF. An understanding of what makes software run fast and scale well (or not), such as network and disk latency and throughput.
- 5+ years’ experience working in a cloud-based Linux environment.
- Ability to work harmoniously within a team to develop high-quality software (i.e., version controlled, well-documented, well-tested, efficient, etc.).
- Be self-motivated and capable of working independently in a growing company.
- Be open to working with people in different locations and time-zones. We are a global company and have offices in Sydney, Zurich, London and New York.
To express your interest in this position, please contact us at email@example.com
No recruiters please.